Thursday, October 8, 2009

Tips and Tricks

The moment you have all been waiting for has arrived:

5 Easy Tricks to Steal

1. Keep your bobbins organized (that means you, Grandma!). Now, I have quite a few bobbins, so I bought a $6 case at Joanne's that holds 32 bobbins. But, if you have a few that you use a lot, use that old RING HOLDER. You know, the one that has a post sticking up. Many of these have small enough posts to hold bobbins for easy access.

2. Another organization tip: For a cute way to store fabrics, use old HAT BOXES! Not only do these keep your craft room looking cute and fashionable, but they can also be color coordinated. Now for someone like me, who is type A when it comes to organization, it is important that I keep my fabrics organized by color and also separate fabrics that are for specific projects (that I have yet to start). Easy fix: blue hat box= blue fabrics inside. You get the idea!

3. Always have a pair of CHOPSTICKS on hand for any sewing project. Especially when you are making bags of any kind, you will need something to help you poke out the corners. Please, do not use a pencil! I promise you that anything too pointy will poke through your fabric. Chopsticks are not to pointy, not to blunt, but just right.

4. Keep a CRAFT JOURNAL. This is a great little tool for writing down little tips that you may need later. Every project that I do, I think of at least one thing that would make my life easier for the next project. Also, if you are using a pattern, you can jot down any changes you make to the pattern. I am a serial pattern changer. I always change patterns as I go, and forget how I did it after I finish.

5. Need to take better care of your walking foot for your sewing machine? It just so happens that most versions of the walking foot fit perfectly into a double LIPSTICK HOLDER. You know the ones that hold 2 tubes of lipstick and button up. I never used mine for lipstick, but my walking foot now has a new home and is easy to find and store.



Hope you are able to steal at least one of these tricks! If you have any other easy tips, post them in comments or let me know so I can post them. I have more, which will come later.

No comments:

Post a Comment