Friday, March 19, 2010

The Tale of Two Appliques



Time for a blog quiz: Which do you prefer? Machine applique or hand applique? Okay, hands down now, I know everyone has an opinion. My vote, you ask? Well, I am way too much of a perfectionist to allow myself to try it by hand. I know there's nothing like the magic of invisible stitches. But, spending hours on a single piece? Not for me.

So, the obvious choice is machine applique, right? Oh, but you are incorrect. I forgot to mention that there is a third option: NONE! That's right, I said it. I have decided that it is perfectly acceptable if all forms of applique make you want to rip your piece to shreds and feed it to your cat. Don't get me wrong, I love the look of this technique, but it is infuriating to me. This total disgust that I have just shown should give you a real appreciation for the purse I have made.

It was love at first sight when I saw the "Pocketful of Posie" pattern by Renee Plains (I have many loves when it comes to purses). It is in a beautiful tweed material that makes me want to take out my typewriter and go solve a murder mystery. In this fantasy, I am a reporter in the 50s with Angela Lansbury characteristics. That aside, I took on the brave task of making this beautiful handbag and try machine applique for the first time. I love my purse, which came out wonderfully. However, it took hours and was entirely to upsetting to repeat. The rest of the purse is really quite simple and comes together very well. Next time, maybe I will use other decorations for this pattern. What do you think about Yo-Yo flowers? Or maybe a collection of buttons in the corner?

No comments:

Post a Comment