Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Bag Lady




I am very fortunate to be able to tell you that the reason I have not posted in a couple of months is that I have been busy crafting! I am loving sewing, especially when it comes to purses. As much as I love quilting, I am completely impatient and probably have some sort of attention disorder. So, spending weeks...months on a project is not my favorite. However, the joy that I feel when I complete a cute, fully functional purse is astounding. I have always had a love of purses (just ask my husband how many purses I have...wait, don't say anything to him). So, why not make my own so I can do it the way I want to?

My favorite new pattern is the Birdie Sling, designed by Amy Butler. The first time I made one of these purses, it took me days and was a little confusing. Well, it gets easier, believe me. I made one for my mom first, then had to have one for myself. Then, my family loved them, so I have made four total, and have orders for several more. No matter where I go, I always get a compliment on this cute and roomy bag. And, I am proud to say that I made one today in less than 5 hours. Not too shabby right? And not stressful, which is important. Now, I am not a big fan of the way she does her pockets. There are four on one side and they are completely too deep. Instead, I have been making a zipper pocket on one inside lining, and two joined pockets on the other (just big enough for a phone or so). I have attached pictures of several of these bags. Note how the different fabrics take on different personalities! The brown and teal Micheal Miller fabric is mine and it's my favorite!



2 comments:

  1. Sam,
    I love the purses and I agree completely about the pockets. They are way too deep. I would love to have you make one for Kate so I will get the material - probably Michael Miller too! What do you charge for them?
    Love you - Aunt Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the bags, and I am so glad that you are making them! You are so talented!
    Love - grandma

    ReplyDelete